Sunday 14 March 2021

ASHA PAREKH - BOLLYWOOD QUEEN BEFORE HEMAMALINI

 

ASHA PAREKH - BOLLYWOOD QUEEN 

BEFORE HEMAMALINI




Asha Parekh needs no introduction. Starting her career young, the actress changed the entire scenario in Hindi cinema from the early 50s to the late 70s and went on to become one of the notable actresses of the Golden era and was rightly termed as the 'Jubilee Girl'. Pinkvilla caught up with this sheer elegance as she launched her autobiography 'The Hit Girl' in the capital city and threw a volley of questions, which the vintage diva graciously answered us with. Read on!


You were given the title of 'Jubilee girl' for rolling out hits with almost every actor you've worked with. How did you deal with the pressure of getting people's expectations right?


Asha ji: No, it was nothing like that! There wasn't any pressure as such. It was more about the happiness that films are doing well and I just felt nice about it and didn't think of any pressure.


What took you so long to put down the skeletons from the cupboard and pen down your autobiography now?


Asha ji: Khalid Mohamed convinced me to write one. I feel autobiographies should be written when you're retiring and there's so much to talk about as you've been working for so many years then. It becomes more interesting and there's more material to go in the autobiography.



Are you saying that you've officially taken retirement from the industry?


Asha ji: Yeah maybe. I don't want to work anymore because now it's high time I should sit in the back seat and take life easy, doing things whatever I want to do.


What is your take on how movies are being made today? Has it changed from your time?


Asha ji: Well things have changed tremendously! Some for good and some for bad. Like technologically we've become very superior but the artists today are living amidst too much stress and tension which is bad.


What do you miss the most about the golden era, your era?


Asha ji: My era was a totally different time. it was indeed a golden era as you say because something magical was there. I mean family and bonding. What more do I say? The films had a lot of warmth and affection.





You've covered a series of movies. Is there any particular memory which is still imbibed in your head?


Asha ji: I enjoyed all my films equally. I have loved working in all the movies which I signed. Whenever I used to like the script and the director only then I would say yes for the movie otherwise it was a complete no.


Did you ever counter a crazy stalker during your time?


Asha ji: There were stalkers then too but not as crazy as today ones are. There was someone from China who came down to my house and locked himself outside the gate. He wanted to marry me and created a lot of trouble. I had to eventually report to the police and put him behind the bars.


What about you? Have you ever done something crazy for someone?


Asha ji: I haven't really done anything crazy (laughs) but yes, we used to have a lot of good times and notorious times as well. I used to act very naughtily. Like I remember we were shooting for the movie Bin Baadal Barsaat and we actors had a lot of fun moments where we played pranks on the unit.



I was reading this interview where you'd mentioned how you took an overdose of some anti-allergy pills while filming the song 'Aaja Aaja Main Hoon Pyaar Tera'. How did you pull it off?


Asha ji: Oh you remember! Yes, I had gotten a very bad allergy because of which I had to consume Avil and similar medicines. They made me so sleepy but I had to perform and things became tougher for me. Luckily the song emerged to be a superhit.




Salman launched your book in Mumbai and you picked Aamir for Delhi. Was this a conscious decision not to go for someone from your era, say Mr. Bachchan or Saira Banu who's a good friend as well?


Asha ji: I think it is very kind and graceful of Aamir and Salman to have accepted my invitation and launch the book for me. It was the publishers' call, they wanted them. Nothing else.


At Mumbai book launch, Salman stressed on how the current brigade of Bollywood actresses should learn about friendship from your generation. Your thoughts?


Asha ji: We all have been friends with each other during our time and there wasn't much of an animosity between us because everyone was getting their work. We all were friendly but we didn't get much time to interact with each other. Our time had its share of jealousy but it was just a professional jealousy and nothing more. However, I have seen these days too, that actresses are bonding well. 


Any piece of advice for young actresses which you wish them to take from the veterans?


Ashai ji: I want to say hats off to you girls for doing the kind of work you do today. They're really living a very stressful life and I am sure I wouldn't have been able to handle what they go through.


Who are your favorite actors and actresses from the ongoing generation of Bollywood?


Asha ji: I like all the actors. I am too fond of Deepika Padukone. And then there's Kangana Ranaut too.


You've lived a prolific career. What all have you gained or lost while walking through the journey?


Asha ji: Ahh for that you'd have to read the book. You'll know my complete journey that I had gone through once you finish my book.


You say you were never destined to get married and are happily unmarried too but deep down did it ever strike you to find a soulmate?


Asha ji: Trust me, I am very very happy that I didn't get married because these days the divorce rates are going up and it is scary that even after 25 years of marriage people are divorcing. So I am happy that I am not doing anything of that sort. My mother was very keen that I should get married and she did show me some boys but it did not materialize!






No comments:

Post a Comment