Sunday 18 July 2021

MADHUBALA , SOMETHING ABOUT HER

 

MADHUBALA , SOMETHING 

ABOUT HER



So I’m an advocate for watching everything, even if it’s crap, because you always come away with something from a film. Also I’m borderline obsessive compulsive with an unhealthily active imagination and wish I could time travel to meet these old bollywood stars but must settle for watching every film of theirs in order to sketch my own version of their life story but that doesn’t matter. You asked for it.

  1. Mahal (1949) - Kamal Amrohi…need I say more? I mean, if you’re really daft, Ashok Kumar.
  2. Tarana (1951) - Crap story, but the best on screen chemistry you are ever going to come by. If these two don’t have you feeling all the feels you’re no better than a heartless guttersnipe.
  3. Sangdil (1952) - If you can find a good version, immerse yourself in the overacting. I just remember this being really weird?? Also enjoy one of my favorite songs, Dil Mein Sama Gaye Sajan. 
  4. Rail Ka Dibba (1953) - A circle of life piece. Also, fetus Shammi.
  5. Amar (1954) - All the mixed feelings. ALL THE CONFUSION.
  6. Mr. and Mrs. 55 (1955) - Uff baba. Guru Dutt man. Dramatic extreme feminist character. Sassy Madhubala. Full entertainment. 
  7. Shirin Farhad (1956) - I’m such a sucker for those fairytale films. 
  8. Gateway of India (1957) - Yo. Get me some o’ dat intellectual cinema right here. 
  9. Ek Saal (1957) - I mean why not
  10. Howrah Bridge (1958) - Uhm everything a thriller needs to be. 
  11. Chalti Ka Naam Gaadi (1958) - Light hearted comedy of errors.
  12. Insan Jaag Utha (1959) - Did someone say mad propaganda? 
  13. Barsaat ki Raat (1960) - EW GOD NO BHARAT. But every single song is a home run soooo…
  14. Mughal-e-Azam (1960) - I will personally come and slap you if you haven’t already seen this. 
  15. Boy Friend (1961) - Shammi. Kapoor. Hearts. Madhubala. What more do you want in life?

Ok I gave you 15 of the ones I remember most (meaning least vaguely), now when you watch them, come back and tell me what you thought!


“She was laid to rest in a small forlorn cemetery in Santa Cruz of whose Wahabi Management the Family (Sunni) was then unaware. One of their rules, followed diligently over the years, was to forbid women entry into the graveyard. Now, over forty years later, the graves themselves have been destroyed, traumatizing families and fans with the indignity shown to the departed. The marble slab and the head stone of Madhubala’s grave lovingly constructed by her father are gone, and graves of Mohammed Rafi, Naushad, Sahir Ludhianvi, Naseem Banu, Chand Usmani and all the others similarly desecrated.”


Source: “I want to live - The Story of Madhubala” by Khatija Akbar





Did you know Meena Kumari was initially cast against Dilip Kumar in movie Amar (1954)? However, due to some reasons, Meena Kumari could not continue shooting and was replaced by Madhubala. Madhubala and Dilip Kumar had already become a famous on-screen couple with success of 1951 movie Tarana. Although Amar was far ahead of its time and didn’t do well on box office, natural chemistry between Madhubala and Dilip Kumar was well appreciated by audience and critics. Meena Kumari would have done this role in her own versatile and charismatic way and so was done by Madhubala. Here are stills from the same scene in the movie, one with Meena Kumari and another with Madhubala.


Haven’t made GIFS in a while…thought I would try my luck again at 3am! 

And to note on Madhubala’s expressions - no one can match them! Such range, and diversity. You can almost feel what she’s feeling just by watching her. Now THAT is what you call acting!

And because my fascination for the 50’s has had me hooked for the past 21 years of my life, I have decided to make some Classic Bollywood GIFS.

No comments:

Post a Comment